Is eating healthy easy? It can be, but usually when you really want something worthwhile, it takes some effort.
So, you need a little effort to be able to eat healthy meals and avoid the convenience food trap.
Take 2-3 hours on your weekend to get ready for the week. It really is that simple.
Don’t think you have the time?…Make the time.
Let’s say we have about 12-18 waking hours each day of our weekend. That’s 24-36 hours on a weekend.
Anyone can fit in 2–3 hours to plan ahead.
What’s the pay off?
Healthy, guilt–free meals through the week that energize you and help you veer away from convenient fatty, sugary, processed foods.
Let’s look at what I did last weekend:
1. While home Saturday doing other things, I made a pot of brown basmati rice AND a pot of oatmeal (I added chia seeds and ground flax seeds to the oatmeal, once cooked). I popped them in the fridge, once cooled.
2. Sunday: I tried something a bit different that turned out to be a HUGE success! I found some thin plastic containers that are distinctly different from the other containers we use for food (I discovered these treasures at Dollarama). I made a meal in each one, which was ready to go for any meal during the week (lunch for my daughter or hubby to take to school/work or as a quick dinner).
Here’s what I made, labeled to identify the contents.
How I made them:
1. Mexican: I layered the following:
-rice (the rice I made the day before)
– black beans, raw chopped red pepper and salsa
-sautéed jalapeños, red peppers and Mrs. Dash seasoning (original)
2. Green Beans and Onions: I layered the following:
-sautéed green beans and onions with Braggs Liquid Soy Seasoning
My reward? A text from my daughter a few days later.
She has told me on two more occasions how convenient they are for her and how tasty they are.
I love it when my ideas turn out well. The experience reminded me how EASY it is to prep and make healthy food!
Anyone can do this!
The idea is to play around with some basic foods and flavours you like as well as different containers.
One day, I might put together some more specific “recipes” for these quickie meals.
Hey…if I can do this, you can too!
Give it a try, if you really want to eat healthy.
Wishing you health and success on your journey,